Friday 12 February 2010

Doris Lessing - The Grandmothers

BBC Four Samuel Johnson Prize For Non-Fiction Doris Lessing on right, with Beryl Bainbridge, 2008
This is a collection of 4 short stories published in 2003 when Doris Lessing was I think 84.  It is an excellent book, with very different stories, circumstances, people.  It's as if she wants to convey the whole of her perception of humanity and her values, through these stories, which are very readable, clear prose.  I think she wants to pass on what she knows and feels - about education, the value of culture, the different experiences of love, of the history she has lived through.  I've always loved her books for this huge view she has, ranging from politics, prophecy, different countries, states of mind (mental illness included), much about relationships between men and women and love, spirituality in its broadest forms, the environment.. and all very clear-sighted.  My favourite is the 'Children of Violence' series ending in 'The Four-Gated City'.  I haven't read it for decades but I still remember it.

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading The Golden Notebooks and feeling something shift inside me. I haven't read any of her work for ages, might remedy that.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole. I read the Golden Notebook when I had glandular fever, which probably wasn't the right time! However I did think it was a very good book. I would like to write like her in being able to describe thoughts and feelings with a level head - maybe - I don't know what it is about her writing, but I aspire to it. Alternatively I would like to make lots of money doing jolly potboilers!

    ReplyDelete