Tuesday 9 February 2010

Seabiscuit and me

I just noticed I had this comment on another book on my personal blog - here it is for you, in the hopes you'll enjoy this book, which is a great yarn and a true story.

I have just finished 'Seabiscuit' by Laura Hillenbrand. It is a fantastic true story, well told, and I was very involved with it (OK I cried at times). It's about a bow-legged horse who makes an unlikely racehorse, and the stories of the team who worked with him.  At the time of the Great Depression people all over the USA were obsessed with him and his rivals.  Although I knew nothing about horse-racing before I read this, it didn't matter - all was explained, in a page-turning absorbing manner.

Then I read Laura H's article about her illness (CFS) which is another moving true story, of determination against the odds and terrible setbacks to produce a best-selling, award-winning book. She is still ill. I do hope she finds ways of recovering like I did.

I am getting better after a long CFS-like recurring virus since April. I am relieved I can use the Lightning Process to get rid of it, even after I'd left it awhile to try and clear up on its own. I am plugging away at my walks and short drives, and seeing people in the village, and I'm seeing positive results again - phew!

Laura Hillenbrand's story and her book have moved me. Not the drama and the struggle but the characters' creativity and enjoyment of life, even when they are in pain. Keep on trucking!

4 comments:

  1. Hello there!

    I didn't realise Seabiscuit was based on a true story - not that I've read the book or seen the film, but my English teacher at high school was very excited about horses and talked about it a lot...

    Oh, and Carole won my first ever book giveaway, so that's one I remember fondly.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you did well there - she is bedbound more or less with ME so you must have brightened up her day!

    I know nothing about horses and was enthralled by this tale - I think it's well worth reading.
    Thanks for being my first commentor! There is someone out there..
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love horses, watch racing occasionally but haven't had an on-line flutter yet, too easy!
    The film of Seabiscuit is very good, excellent cast and it sticks pretty closely to the book.
    Wonder how Laura H is now, she is an inspiration to all us ME folk.
    Still thrilled with Simon's giveaway, I got to choose the book too, big treat.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was never that interested in horses till I came to live here - my next-door neighbour is nearly 80 but still runs a livery, brings on young horses and teaches dressage in a 'school' behind her house. And the hunt used to come here, which I didn't like so much, though it was a bit of an event to liven up the village. And now my lodger is a saddler! He is bemused by his co-workers, all horsey women who drink a lot and live for the hunt... Laura H is writing more books I read.

    ReplyDelete